Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Goals for the next year

So, putting this in writing because of all the amazing goals I've read lately. I've got some obvious ones, some that are merely hopes, and some that I really would like to do. I usually eventually reach my goals, but I think that's because I usually set attainable goals. So here we go. This might be a long post.

Mini-month goals.
Before the new year I was thinking about goals and decided it might be a good idea for me to set some month long goals. On my list for a while has been to try out vegetarian for a few weeks. I don't think it's something I'd do long term, but a month sounds like about the right time to see if I like it or not. So I decided to set some goals that I would hopefully accomplish in a month. And you know what, if I don't, I'll just start over again the next month! On the list so far: take the stairs for a month (we live on the 13th floor), swim every day for a month (which works it's way up to the next goal of swim in the ocean every day for a month), vegetarian month, go outside every day for a month (I work from home, don't have a car, so as bad as this sounds, sometimes I go the full day without leaving the house. But, on a health note, we have an open air house, so I am getting plenty of fresh air). I think those are all I had thought of.

Big goals.
Organize. Yes, I think this is perpetually on everyone's list, and it made it onto mine this year. Mostly what I'm talking about is organize the business end of my business. I think I'm doing okay, but it feels like a mess. I don't know how to respond to comments on my blog? (or at least do it the way I've seen other people do it). I have two blogs, a personal one and a business one. But I have a website for my business, so why should I have two? Should I combine? We shall see. I used to have a rolodex, but lost it somehow. I need a good system of keeping in touch of my contacts and how I met them. I'd like to be a bit more comfortable with my social media. I just feel like I'm not sure what I'm doing with it. I joined instagram, but forgot to keep sharing. Whoops.

Learn Portuguese.
We've been living in Brazil for a year now, and I'm pretty good. But when I meet someone who talks with a goofy accent (okay, we're in a part of the country where everyone speaks with a goofy accent) or talks to fast, I'm lost. And most conversations I have are really short. So, two ways to accomplish this: talk to more people, study more. Time to get to work.

Do right by dog.
We got a dog! I've never had one, so this is something totally new for me. We also live on the 13th floor in a city with a lot of stray dogs. She's a lab, so she'll need a lot of exercise. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm responsible enough to get her the exercise she'll need (without being terrified to take her off the leash because I think she'll run away with a pack of stray guys). This means trying hard to train her, maybe just learning a lot more in general.

Use what I have.
I don't have a bank account here in Brazil, because I'm still waiting on my permanent visa, so I really don't shop for anything other than food. For the first 9 months I didn't even have a credit/debit card. I had to ask my husband for money. It was great. But material things, you know, stuff and things in general, I haven't hardly bought any. No books, clothing, accessories, whatever. From Brazil at least. Every time I've gone to the states I've had the mentality that I need to buy things and stock up, because these things, they don't have them in Brazil! But they do. And now I have lots of stuff. I'd love to use it all. This goes for creative life, and real life. I have like 10 bars of soap in my bathroom. I'd love to use them all this year.

Give back.
I was going to list this under 'small goals' because I'm pretty positive I'll do it, because it seems to be something I like to do, but I didn't want anyone thinking I thought this was small stuff. I looked into volunteering at an orphanage near our house. It's within walking distance, and I'm sure kids won't mind if my portuguese grammar is a little off. I also asked a friend about giving blood here. I don't even know if I'm allowed to do that. But donating is something that I think is great. I've got the time, I've got the blood. Let's do this.

So that's it. Goals are wonderful. Just as I wrote that last one, I was thinking of the reaction I normally get when I tell people about giving blood. If you're one of those folks that needs a pep talk, email me and I will personally give you that talk. If you need help choosing a blood bank, email me and I will help you find one. Giving blood is so easy! Do it!

No comments: